I’ve been producing and managing digital and print content about land use, urbanism, planning, and architecture since 2006. My mission as a professional media producer is to provide clarity and descriptive power to complex subjects.
February 2021 – Present
- Lead all editorial content and direction for Planetizen.
- Assign and edit news, analysis, commentary, and features for Planetizen.
- Identify and recruit instructors and institutional partners for Planetizen Courses.
- Hire and lead creative freelancers for content production on Planetizen and Planetizen Courses.
- Manage the pre-production process for the Planetizen Courses platform.
- Set strategy and manage day-to-day operations across multiple social media platforms.
January 2014 – January 2021
- Contributed to a fourfold increase in revenue at Planetizen and Planetizen Courses since 2014.
- Responsible for 40-60 editorial posts a week on Planetizen, totaling more than 12,000 bylined posts.
- Managed Planetizen site redesigns in 2016 and 2021.
- Wrote, edited, and managed the production of three editions of the Planetizen Guide to Graduate Urban Planning Programs.
- Managed social media marketing campaigns for all content and products.
- Participated in numerous events as a speaker and a moderator on a range of planning-related topics.
Urban Land Institute – Los Angeles
November 2009 – Present
- Wrote, edited, and managed numerous “Technical Assistance Panel” reports under contract for the Los Angeles Chapter of the Urban Landing Institute.
- Researched and wrote the initial draft of the “LA2050: Who We Are, How We Live, Where We Are Going” report for the LA2050 initiative, under contract for Estolano LeSar Perez Advisors.
- Wrote and researched “Regional Landscape Review of Climate Programs & Policies” for the Los Angeles Regional Collaborative for Climate Action & Sustainability, under contract for Adi Liberman and Associates.
July 2010 – February 2018
- Bylines for Curbed LA, LA Weekly, The Architect’s Newspaper, the California Planning and Development Report, KCET, FORM.
- Freelance assignments varied from breaking news to commentary and analysis.
Outreach and Data Coordinator
The College of Environmental Design at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
September 2011 – December 2013
- Managed all communications for the College of Environmental Design (ENV): print and digital media, social media, public relations, and media relations.
- Launched Link magazine, the first print publication for ENV: lead design and editorial; hired freelance team; and wrote all copy (circulation: 9,000 alumni).
- Launched a suite of new social media products to increase online engagement in the community of students, alumni, and faculty.
- Promoted and planned all college and department events, including “Technology and Environment: The Postwar House in Southern California” (a Pacific Standard Time Presents exhibition).
- Produced copy for university publications: Panorama (circulation: 115,000 alumni and university contacts) and PolyTrends (circulation: 15,000 alumni and friends of the university).
The Planning Report, Metro Investment Report, and VERDEXCHANGE NEWS
March 2006 – August 2011
- Promoted multiple times, from intern to editor.
- Produced multiple monthly and seasonal insider journals, covering land use, infrastructure, and the green economy in Southern California.
- Duties included developing, researching, writing, and editing all content.
- Planned and implemented the annual VERDEXCHANGE Conference as Project Communications Manager.
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Master of Arts – Humanities, June 2005
University of California, Berkeley, CA
- Bachelor of Arts – English (with honors), May 2002
- Bachelor of Arts – Religious Studies, May 2002
- The Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, HTML, MS Office, Google Drive, Dropbox.
- Technology platform management: Drupal, WordPress, Tumblr, Movable Type, SquareSpace, MailChimp, Sprout, RegOnline, EventBrite, Cvent.
- Social media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram.